VPN means Virtual Private Network. This allows users to create a secure connection to other networks over the internet. A VPN can be used to gain access to websites that are restricted to specific regions. It will shield your browsing activity from prying eyes that are on public Wi-Fi and many others. VPNs are now very popular these days not even for the reasons for which they were created. Ab initio, they were just a way of connecting business networks in a secure way over the internet and allowing you access to a business network from home.
VPNs forward all the network traffic to the network and this is where benefits come. These benefits include bypassing internet censorship and accessing local network resources remotely. Today, most of the operating systems have integrated VPN support
How Does VPN Help You?
In straightforward terms, VPNs connect your personal computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone to another computer that is called a server somewhere on the internet. If that server is in another country, it will appear as if you are browsing from that country and you can have access to things that you usually can’t access due to some restriction. The following are some of the ways VPN can help you.
- Enables you to bypass geographical restrictions on websites
- Protects you from snooping on untrustworthy Wi-Fi hotspots
- Protects you from being logged while torrenting
- Gives you some anonymity online by just hiding your right location
- Allows you to stream media like Hulu and Netflix
Most people are using VPN services for torrenting or bypassing geographic restrictions to watch content in a different country.
Which VPN Service Should You Choose?
Now that you have known how VPN can be useful to you, you might be willing to get one. Therefore, it is vital that we provide you with a list of VPN services that you can choose.
- ExpressVPN: This VPN server is easy to use, very fast and it supports streaming media and torrenting.
- StrongVPN: This may not be as easy use as ExpressVPN, but it also allows torrenting and streaming media.
- Tunnelbear: This is also easy to use although it is not too good for torrenting and streaming media.
Other Uses of VPN
The other things VPN can be used for are:
- Gain access to a business network while traveling
- Gain access to your home network while traveling
- Hide your browsing activity from your local network and your ISP
- Access Geo-blocked websites
- Bypass internet censorship
- Download files